Placerville City Hall/Jane Stuart Building

Placerville City Hall, a two-story brick building built in 1860, originally housed the Confidence Engine Company #1. The brigade started out in 1857 as the Mountaineer Engine Company, but after buying a used engine called the “Confidence” and finding they couldn’t remove its engraved name, they decided to change their name to match the engine. The Placerville City Hall has occupied the building since 1902.

The Jane Stuart Building was built in 1862 by immigrant Jane Stuart, who raised the money for its construction by driving a herd of horses across the plains and selling them to a horse dealer. The two-story building is faced with a wooden balcony and stands next to the City Hall on Main Street.

Return to Placerville

HomeThe Virtual California Gold CountryBuy the Book(s)!